Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Yellowstone: Part 2

The morning of our second day in Yellowstone was spent hiking steep trails, gazing down immense canyons, and standing atop 300 ft waterfalls. Needless to say, I was a bit nervous. The views, however, were spectacular. The waterfall was absolutely amazing. The sound of thousands of gallons of water crashing over a steep cliff was deafening.




It's not very obvious from the pictures atop the waterfall, but we were pretty darn high. Here's some perspective...








 The afternoon brought a string of good luck in terms of timing. We happened upon Yellowstone Lake when the ice had just started to break up. The locals informed us that it took only about 30 hours for the Lake to go from completely frozen to completely thawed. In the 30 minutes we were there, we saw a huge portion of the ice disappear.

Then, as we rounded the park, we stopped at the Old Faithful grounds for a restroom break, knowing we had missed the estimated time for the geyser to blow by 20 minutes. However, we noticed a huge crowd of people still surrounding Old Faithful, and we parked our crew just minutes before he blew. I like to think he waited for us that day. 



Our final stop was at the Fountain Paint Pots where the wind, lighting, and geothermic activity combined forces to create a beautiful display. Oh, how I missed my camera this day.



Well, it's back to work for me. I hope I can soon show you some sneak peeks of what's been eating all of my time.

xo
nessa dee

No comments: