Friday, January 7, 2011

Ten

My daughter turns ten today. TEN! Cue panic attack.

 DSC_0014-1

I knew this day would come, [especially since I got a constant reminder from the birthday girl of her impending age change], but I just didn’t realize it would come so soon. Double digits. I can’t believe it. It just doesn’t seem possible that it would happen this fast.  She’s a tween. Her stuffed animals and dolls will soon be replaced by lip gloss and jewelry. Mom and Dad are going to be uncool all too soon. She’s only three short years away from being a teenager. hyperventilating Before I know it, she’ll be packing and moving away to college, leaving me, her momma, the one who nursed her all those sleepless nights, who fixed her boo boos, who comforted her when she was sad, and rejoiced with her when she was happy. I need a paper bag Why would she leave me? Why can’t I go with her to college? tears

DSC_0037-1

Ok, I know I’m being ridiculous. Maybe I’m just a little sentimental because I watched Toy Story 3 last night. But kids do grow up, much faster than you want them to. And we as parents get the extraordinary job of raising them, loving them, teaching them, and preparing them to one day go out into the world on their own. It’s not easy, but it’s what we signed up for.

For now, I’m just going to cherish this age. I get a whole year to do so before I have another panic attack.

Happy Tenth birthday my sweet love.

DSC00672-1

DSC_0032-1

My how you’ve grown.

xo

Mom

3 comments:

Abby said...

Happy birthday, Audrie!!

Donna Casey VanCleve said...

Can't believe you're ten, Audrie, although you seem wise beyond your years. Sure loved being with you on your birthday, beautiful girl. Love you so very much.

Abbey said...

Happy Birthday sweet Audrie. You are the most fun and creative ten year old I know. Besides,what other ten year old would let their brother borrow their pajamas? :-)