Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Recipe, the Revelation

Since my post about camp bread, several people have asked me for the recipe. Here's the one I came across a while back in my Texas Ranger cookbook:

2 cups flour

2 tsps baking powder

1 tsp salt

2 Tbsp oil

1 cup milk

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil and milk. Roll out 1/4-inch thick like biscuit dough. Preheat covered skillet for 5 minutes on medium low heat. Put in dough and spread it out to cover bottom of 10- or 12-inch skillet. Cover and bake 6 or 7 minutes. Turn and bake 5 more minutes.

So that's the recipe that I've not gotten right for so many years. I was telling my husband that my PaPa's camp bread seemed to be lighter, fluffier, and more biscuit-like, and that mine was always too dense. Well, my mom dropped by one afternoon and read the post. We shed a few tears together before she turned to me and said, "Didn't your PaPa use Bisquick to make his camp bread?" All of those years, all of those failed attempts, and to think that all I needed was a box of Bisquick. I still think that the camp bread, if made with Bisquick won't taste quite the same made by my own hands, in my house, but it might have more of that fluffy biscuit texture that I was missing.

On another note, last Father's Day was doubly special because we celebrated not only a great daddy, but a great person as well. My husband's birthday just happened to fall on that special day set aside for father's everywhere. We spent the weekend with my in-laws, ate yummy pound cake, and just about passed out trying to blow out the candles on the cake with party horns.



I'm sorry this is late, but Happy Birthday/Father's Day to my best friend and the greatest daddy my children could have!

And to all the "dads" in my life, I want you to know just how wonderful you are!

Love,

Nessa Dee

1 comment:

tammy said...

Thanks for the recipe! I am excited to try it.